Friday, October 7, 2016

REVIEW: Godzilla Resurgence (Shin Godzilla)

Oh for the love of God...

I'm not gonna lie, I went into the theater very nervous for this one. Not only has Autumn been a very disappointing season so far for me involving movies, but each and every trailer I've seen for this film has not impressed me. Hell, I still have no idea what this movie is about or what happens since the only trailers I've seen have zero dialogue whatsoever. And I KNOW that if I didn't like this film, the fandom would tear me a new one, because apparently, Toho Godzilla is perfection to about 90% of the fanbase. It is the devil. And I'm a pretty big Godzilla fan. I own most the films, I've devoted a lot of time and energy to the big guy, even in his worst moments. Even in my adult mind, I enjoy him. But I can't help but criticize this just a bit for how Toho has handled this film. Allow me to explain...

In 2014, I absolutely loved our reboot of the big guy. Despite its flaws, I walked out of the theater with a smile on my face, and satisfaction. It was a great film to me which did justice Godzilla both in name and spirit. Was it different? Yeah. But I'm open to different. I pay practically no attention to fans who just trash it or complain about it just because it's different or doesn't have a lot of action. It's a favorite. But when Toho inevitably came back into the Godzilla scene after a decade of retirement, despite praising it, they kinda just did this 180 on the film which rubbed me the wrong way and said they "wouldn't bow to Hollywood" or something along those lines. I kinda have a sour taste in my mouth after that because it gives me this idea that Toho is full of itself. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound like I believe Hollywood is perfect, but back off, Toho. This film has now been in theaters in Japan for a few months with some hailing it as a masterpiece. Big words. I have some bad news for each and every Godzilla fan. There is no such thing as a Godzilla Masterpiece. There never was one, and there never will be. Not even the original. It can enter discussions, due to the cultural impact it had on a post WWII Japan, but despite helping pave the way to other giant monster films alongside other great films like Them!, or Beast from 10,000 Fathoms, it has overacting, and some absolutely forgettable story arcs, and characters. For the time it was impressive and still a great watch today. But if you were to tell me it was the best film from Japan in 1954, you'd be sorely mistaken. Seven Samurai rightfully won that award for a reason. And the sequels? The countless sequels? They're fun. But a lot of them, and I mean a LOT of them are junk. In some ways, Godzilla is more guilty than the films of Transformers for trying to make a quick buck for your want of mayhem and destruction. Pick any random Godzilla sequel, and tell me five major events that happen in that movie. Like elements important to the overall story. It's harder than you realize because there are times I think Toho honestly doesn't care about Godzilla in story anymore. So when I see them going about this movie, and Japanese critics praising it as it they are, they're only raising my bar higher and higher. Well...it's finally here in America. It has a mediocre name...partly because I'm still somewhat angry that Independence Day Resurgence was as dull as it was, but it's here. And I'm watching it. 

Is it good???

No! Don't believe the hype. Because I don't think a Godzilla film has ever been so incredibly....BORING! Goddammit Toho, what have you done?!

I'm not kidding. I'm willing to bet that over 75% of this film revolves around Japanese politicians sitting around tables...talking. Seriously?! This is the "masterpiece" we were supposed to get? THIS-

Okay, let me calm myself. Despite what you might think, the movie doesn't do everything wrong, there is some very decent stuff here, and some really cool concepts. And I'm not gonna lie, some of the camerawork is absolutely gorgeous. But that is literally all I can say for this film. As the movie kept rolling, I was just compiling a list of things that weren't working, and that list kept growing, and growing, and growing. The monster, atrocious. The characters, forgettable.  The story, nonexistent. I hate saying this, but I'm wondering if this is one of the worst Godzilla films I've ever seen. You can say what you want about 2014's film, but it at least knew how to keep the story rolling. If I want to be brutally honest? Godzilla Resurgence should probably be named Japanese Godzilla Politics. Because that's what this movie is. 

It needs to be said that continuity will be as confusing as ever, because this movie once again wipes the slate of Godzilla films clean.  Only in this case...not even the original movie happened.  You heard right, 1954's film never took place. I'd have been open to this if the origin story of this Godzilla wasn't so completely botched up. Here...Godzilla isn't a dinosaur in origin.  He's some mutated lungfish. I'm not joking, that's the exact word they compared him to, and with his very silly introduction scene where he kinda just slithers around in some of the most ridiculous ways I can picture. He's a creature or lungfish that fed off radioactive waste at the bottom of the ocean...so nuclear testing is now out of the picture, and he rapidly evolves in the to become one of the goofiest incarnations of the creature I've ever seen.  Seriously, I hated it before I saw the film, and I hate it still.  The design of this Godzilla very rarely appears intimidating, and it doesn't help that its mouth almost never closes in the entire movie, giving off this strange goofy smile. Credit again where credit is due, there are indeed some camera shots and angles that are stunning. One of my favorite shots involved a camera inside a moving train, looking up at Godzilla as he tromped around Tokyo. And though a LOT of the CGI seems out of place, there are times that it looks brilliant, and shows how Japan is beginning to embrace it to enhance their filmmaking. But that isn't enough here. Godzilla barely does a thing in this movie. There are times he just idly stands around while all the military unleashed their might against him. And it needs to be said that despite my love of Godzilla being this unkillable walking god of destruction, they went over the top with his power levels here.  Not only does he fire his atomic breath from his mouth here, he shoots it all over the damn place ifrom his back, and even from his tail,  at times lighting up the screen like I'm at some dance rave. Was this really necessary? It looks....dumb honestly. But I will say that when he first unleashes his atomic breath, it is a sight to behold, almost perfectly symbolizing the powers of the atomic bomb.  

So Godzilla failed to make much of an impression.  Strike one. What about the setting? Well the camerawork over Tokyo is great, but again, over 75% of this movie revolves around politicians sitting around tables talking about what's going on, and about how the world is reacting and whatnot. And it gets old real fast. If you thought them cutting away from the action in Godzilla (2014) was bad, just wait until you see this film, in which they'll show a few seconds of something happening with the monster, before returning to the tables for another fifteen minutes. Dialogue in this movie is repeated countless times as people confirm orders, and take dramatic pauses in how they'll be looked at in history for what they decide to do. Movie...I have three words for you here.  NO ONE CARES. This is a Godzilla movie! Not the Presidential Debate! I'm not trying to trash talk Japanese policy or whatnot, but I don't watch Godzilla for this! When I watch Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo, I know the city is being evacuated, and I know the military is organizing the counteroffensive. I don't need or want to see the Japanese Prime Minister issuing countless orders to evacuate residential areas. That shouldn't be the focus. And I most certainly do not care or want to see him complaining about soggy noodles. Yeah that happens. The characters of this movie are beyond forgettable. I barely remember anyone's name. I remember a lot of silly complaining, a lot of jabs at America being the country that wants to just blow everything to hell without a second thought, and that's about it. The story here is literally about Godzilla attacking a city. There's no other monster.  They were trying to remake Godzilla 1954. Only not nearly as memorable, and without the impactful message of carelessness of nuclear weaponry. Instead, Godzilla is just kinda branded a god, and that mankind will just have to live with him. 

The music of this film is absolutely forgettable. In some places, it doesn't fit the scene at all. THe first time we see Godzilla charging up his atomic breath...which they call fire in this movie by the way, the music being played is this heavenly sounding song. There are times that the music goes into this intense electric guitar driven song as if to try and show that the final effort is being planned, when in all honesty, it's just more talking. And as if to try and call back to the original, it sounds that some of the movie and sound effects were ripped straight off the director's DVD copy of the original movie, as if to try and give off a little nostalgia. Unfortunately, it just kinda stands out awkwardly. 

...

I'm actually kinda at a loss for words right now, because I wanted to like this movie, I really did.  Godzilla is a huge piece of my childhood, but this film took so many steps backward.  For me to be told by Japanese media that this is a masterpiece? How? I'll admit that some of the politics had my attention.  There is a lot of references to post WWII Japan military restrictions, and the United States DOES have to help Japan out in this movie, but these moments of interest, and action are so few and far between, that it's hard to give this movie much credit. Godzilla has always been an icon for children in more ways than one, while also bring this giant metaphor for nuclear destruction, and nature in all her fury.  There's something for everyone in this franchise, but a lot of people introduced to the big guy, are of younger ages. If I were to show this film to a child, I doubt they'd make it ten minutes. The focus of this film was a complete mess, and so I will stand by my stance.  This movie is bad. It's really bad. Is it one of the worst? I don't know yet, but you won't find me giving it a second watch any time soon.  When I can tell you more about what happened in Godzilla's Revenge?  You know that you have a problem. Fuck this movie.

Godzilla Resurgence earns a one and a half star rating out of four, and that's me being generous. While certain concepts work to the film's advantage, and while some of the camerawork and action can be great to look at, the fact that the rest of this movie seems so nonexistent really takes a toll. Now the fact remains that I may not have enjoyed this, simply because I don't understand Japanese politics.  Maybe this is a Godzilla film for Japan mainly...butI can't excuse it for that if that is indeed the case.  It failed to keep my attention.  It failed to convince me the stretch my believability, and it failed to entertain me in ways other Godzilla films have.  Even Godzilla 1998 had more going for it. I am happy to see Toho back after 12 years of no Godzilla from them. But to see this from them as their return? It doesn't work.  And the fact that they're hinting at a sequel?  I'm not on board.  Toho, if you want to do more...you need to drop this movie like a dozen eggs, and really think as to what makes Godzilla so very fun to begin with...

Please feel free to suggest any movies you'd like me to review down below.  Leave a comment of what you yourself thought of this film.  If you're in the Godzilla fanbase...go easy on me with the hate. Please. And as always, thanks for reading.

Final Verdict: 1.5/4

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this and as owner of the community I hope the fans will be open minded and respect your opinion. It seems your a long time fan like I am as in our age. My mom took me to see GZ vs Smog Monster at the theatres so that shows my age. I guess most fans never saw GZ on the big screen so that's why they are so taken with this film which Icould understand. I haven't seen it yet but the one thing that bothers me from the clips on Youtube is that damn tail. WTF is that about? So ther goes a point right there, and people talking (especially politicians) to make the movie almost 2 hours long is just plain filler and bloating. Yep another point out the window. But I will keep thing open for now until I see the movie. Great review and thanks for posting this. Glad I was warned. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, man. While this was the first Toho film I've seen on the big screen, I've seen plenty of Godzilla to have certain expectations I guess. The tail...there were a lot of things I didn't get to in this review that sat wrong with me with the creature design. Things that looking back, I don't think were ever answered or whatnot. Maybe I'm just overthinking things. Glad you lined the review and I certainly hope you enjoy the fun when you see it. Let me know what you think.

      Delete