Thursday, July 21, 2016

REVIEW: Star Trek Beyond


Remember in January, when I started my Star Trek filmdom marathon in which I sat down, watched each and every Star Trek film to date, and reviewed it?  If so, I hope you enjoyed it.  If not, you can check it out in the archives.  But today, we finally REALLY wrap up the marathon because the third reboot film is out, and I gotta say that I was most anxious to see this one. As a brief reminder to you all, I myself, am a fan of the reboot. I enjoy the cast (and was saddened to hear of the tragic accident that claimed the life of Anton Yelchin), I think the action when done right can be mind boggling, and I like the darker tone the series can have in this alternate timeline. Much love and respect to what we fans call the "primary timeline", but there's no reason you can't like both.  The first reboot film is easily in my top favorite Trek movies, but though Into Darkness had its moments with me, like I pointed out in my review a few months back, it lost that spirit that made the first film so likable to me. And it was the film that made so many fans I know turn themselves away to this film.  

And believe me what I say I wanted this movie to succeed. And was given plenty of hopes. The writer, Simon Pegg, who I believe to be a fantastic science fiction writer, and knows Star Trek well enough to write for it was behind the script.  And he specifically stated that he knew what the fans wanted to see in Star Trek, and that this film would have much of those elements. But with the hope there was also the signs that the road ahead was anything but smooth when the director for the project was announced to be Justin Lin, the director of the Fast and Furious movies. I haven't seen any of those, but you know that Fast and Furious is not exactly the thing you put on the resumé if you're hoping to direct something like Star Trek. The first trailer itself made even more people shut themselves off to it when it only seemed to reveal elements of nonstop action, and...dirt bikes. Even Simon Pegg himself said he wasn't a fan of the trailer. I banked hard on Simon Pegg to give the fans of the franchise something...ANYTHING to make them see the reboots from another point of view.  As something more than just pointless action movies that only share the same name. Because if you ask me, these movies, even Into Darkness, are more Trek-like than people give them credit for, even if they're different. They can base themselves or mirror our own events, they can share (at times) culture in other alien races, and there is a sense of wonder, discoery, and technological marvel somewhere in each film.  So with all this said...I've seen the movie.  Does it deliver?

...

Friends...do yourself a favor and go see it. I'll be blunt. This film is surprisingly strong, blowing Into Darkness out of the water, and becoming a very strong contender for Star Trek films right now. There is a lot of things to talk about here, and I'm gonna do my absolute best not to spoil anything. From reinstalling the Star Trek spirit back into these films, to giving us a sense of wonder and awe in the world of the Federation, to giving us an albeit somewhat clunky but fun narrative, to honoring the Mr. Nimoy himself, this film succeeds on so many levels, I'm actually astonished. I'm still a bit dazed as I write this even now.  But, I won't let that distract me.  Despite having some of the common traits of the other Star Trek reboot films, this film stands on its own, and gives me some reason to hope that there's a bit more life in these reboots than what a lot of us tend to think.

The opening of this movie, aside from a rather silly opening scene, is incredible.  Some of the character development in Kirk is very welcome, as we see him reflecting on his Starfleet career as he turns one year older than when his father was killed. These reflections give off another side of Kirk that hasn't been seen before.  The first 15 minutes or so of this film revolve around the feelings of characters all around the ship, and it's very well done.  And it's in this that we get one of the things I found absolutely flawless in this film, but we'll get to that later.  The environments of a space station called the Yorktown, are absolutely stunning to look at, creative, and give us some really visually appealing sets, even if they can hurt the eyes slightly.  Star Trek meets Inception. But when we get a distress call from within a Nebula, we're off and the action is soon to follow, and before I get any whining comments...I actually believe the action is kinda toned down a bit in this film.  In fact, ironically enough, I think most of the action takes place during this opening act.  Now that's not to say that action isn't in the rest of the movie, because it is, but it's much better paced than it was in Into Darkness.  Kahn doesn't just show up out of nowhere and start randomly blasting Klingons to oblivion here if you care to take my comparison. The action that happens, makes sense, is fun to watch, unique (I love the drone swarm concept, I mean come on, in my Star Trek fan writings, I've played with the idea to an extent), and to those of you owndering what they could have possibly done with a dirt bike...well...as silly as the concept is, they found a way to make it work and fit. Well I guess there's also a really...really ridiculous scene near the end where the music of the Beastie Boys literally saves the day but...no I'll let you judge that one by yourself.  

I'm kinda showering this movie with praise.  Let me take a step back because I don't want to give the idea that this movie is flawless.  It does have some problems, mainly with the narrative. As I said above, it's a bit clunky.  There were times I watched this where I felt that the story was either trying to do too much, or just didn't know how to execute certain things.  There were times I was wondering if a little added extra footage could have enhanced certain scenes to help smooth out the story, or other things.  But I will say when the story was reaching the end, a lot of things did fall into place, and it did set up one very fun twist, even if the big bad doomsday weapon of the movie is rather underwhelming. Yeah, I don't mean to spoil anything here, but the weapon they're trying to save the day from really isn't focused on too much here.  We keep getting told that it's this powerful device that can wipe out all sorts of life, and the most we see it do is kill a person. Scary. Actually, now that I think about it, that weaon is kinda similar to the infinity stone in Guardians of the Galaxy.  Which might explain that article from way back in which Paramount said they wanted this movie to feel like that movie.  Well congradulations Paramount, you just made me more confused than ever. That's my biggest problem with this, is just the narrative really.  Though things all come together, there are times I just had to blink, scratch my head or wonder if I missed something.  And honestly, the whole weapon thing is pretty forgettable. In many ways, it reminds me of the Genesis project of Wrath of Khan. It's there, but it's not focused on too much...

But the shortcomings in story are easily forgoten with the strength this movie has in characters.  The characters of this movie are developed so very well, from the main crew, to the villain, to secondary characters, that I honestly believe that it may be one of the strongest character movies in Star Trek out there. Another thing that I love is that they manage to give a little homage to the old NX ships of the franchise.  I won't spoil much, but we do get to see one of those old babies in action, and it's actually very fun.  One of the more predictable things about this movie that I liked was the occassional comedy. There is some legit comedy here, from funny exchanges of dialogue, and other moments that had me laughing.  Heck, Chekov himself actually directly referenced a line from The Trouble with Tribbles. I think I was the only one laughing in the theater at that line.  And of course, one of my favorite things about the reboots in general that they absolutely nailed in this movie was the music.  The score is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm gonna have to make it a goal to pick up the soundtrack.  It's gorgeous.

And for those who are wondering? Bonus points, there's not that many lens flares here in this film. 

But honestly, the best thing about this movie was how they paid homage to Leonard Nimoy.  From the beginning of the film, we see Spock get the news of Ambassador Spock's passing, and it becomes a bit of a theme in the film in which they talk about Ambassador Spock, how he lived, and each time they're doing it, you will be smiling.  Zachary Quinto talks about him in the middle of the film, and each word he says makes it sound as if he's talking about Nimoy himself. It's absolutely beautiful.  And there is a moment at the end that will have even the most devoted fans who hate the reboots tear up a bit. I won't dare spoil it.  All I will say is that it does tug at the heart strings just a bit. It's a perfect farewell to Leonard, and nothing else could have made it better...except that during the credits, we do get a moment of silence as we see the text read "In Loving Memory of Leonard Nimoy". ... And "For Anton", which made me applaud just a bit, knowing that they were able not only to say goodbye to a beloved Star Trek legend and icon, but goodbye to a close friend that was taken far too soon.  

All in all, this movie is just...mind numbing. Despite the few flaws it has, Simon Pegg, and Justin Lin birthed something incredible with this film.  I am willing to bet that even those who don't care for the reboots will find SOMETHING in this film to enjoyo.  And with all this said, I am giving Star Trek Beyond a three and a half star rating out of four. I wanted to give this film a four. I really did.  But the clunky narrative can detract ever so slightly, but don't let that stop you from watching this, because almost everything else about this film is just fun, exciting, wonderful, and well...I will say it's Star Trek.  If there's one reboot film out there that I can for sure call Star Trek, it is this one.  I'm still trying to figure out which one I like more, the original 2009 film or this one. I don't know.  I enjoy both for very different reasons, but if I were to distinguish which one has more spirit of Trek?  Well...look no further. Simon...I knew you wouldn't let me down.  And Justin....hey, congrats.  You hit it out of the park.

Please feel free to request any movie you'd like for me to review, and I will do my best to cover it.  Leave a comment down below telling me of your own thoughts about this film, and as always, thanks for reading.  And thank you for joining me on this awesome marathon of Star Trek.  Hard to believe it's been 50 years...

Final Verdict: 3.5/4

We miss you Leonard.  And we miss you no less, Anton...

4 comments:

  1. Well what a superb write up. I haven't seen it yet, not sure it has arrived here, we are often a week behind the US, but it will be on my list. Going to the cinema is a rare thing these days, it had to be a GREAT film to endure two hours in an uncomfortable seat with no leg room.
    You have billed it up well though, and from the good trailer I saw, I was enthused about it's quality. Like you, Simon Pegg installed a great deal of optimism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait man.

      Delete
  2. Havent seen it yet.will wait for a good copy.
    The write up is informative and I thank you for your time in doing it.
    ROD . AUSTRALIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Havent seen it yet.will wait for a good copy.
    The write up is informative and I thank you for your time in doing it.
    ROD . AUSTRALIA

    ReplyDelete